The ‘best books for young adults’ are historical fiction and here are eleven benefits for you as a young adult, or your parents, to encourage you to read historical fiction.
Statistics show that the young human brain has a natural ability to absorb new information as part of its developmental growth.
As we age the speed at which we learn slows down. While you are young is a good time to encourage the development of the following qualities:
1) KNOWLEDGE – It will have obvious benefits for you as you learn to retain more knowledge and start life with a good grasp of dates and periods of the past.
2) IMAGINATION – As you sense reality in the past, your imagination will grow.
3) APPRECIATION – You will learn an appreciation of the past which will spill into the present
4) RESPECT – You will learn a new respect for the passage of time and will learn to respect the future
5) WISDOM – You will grow wiser as you witness the hypothetical thinking (or not) from the past. Learning from past mistakes will take on a greater meaning for you
6) ENGAGING – You will learn that history is engaging. Characters from the past weave an entertaining illustration around lifeless facts making history a lot more multi-dimensional than a long string of faceless facts designed to make exam time more difficult.
7) MEMORY – As a young adult you will become more proficient at creating instantaneous story ‘cues’ to remember facts later
8) DISCERNMENT – Historical fictions will also teach you to be discerning, when you see how the past can be altered with the flick of the writer’s pen or the command from a king for example
9) RESPECT – You will be taught appreciation for the aging process and respect for older people
10) ROLE MODELING – Helps you to shape your development. The characters from the past are excellent role models for young adults. Their variety of designs and temperaments offer a wide selection for young adults to model themselves after
11) ACCOUNTABILITY – Helps you decide what lifestyle might better yourself or not when you become an adult. Watching the outcome for others can help shape the younger adults accountability for their own actions – NOW!
Check out Amazon.com, Smashwords and any institution carrying historical fiction books and help yourself get a head start in life!
Casey Grace is an expert in the Riviera Maya, Mexico, and books for young adults she has written with her daughter include all aspects of living, working and playing in the ancient land of the Maya.
Her background in the television and film industry in Toronto bring the entertainment aspect to their books.